Callaghan, Paul - Papers of Professor Sir Paul Callaghan
- Creation: 1970-2012
Access and use
For most of this collection access is freely available to bona fide researchers within the J.C.Beaglehole Room for research and private study. For any use beyond this, please contact the J.C.Beaglehole Room (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the first instance. Copyright restrictions apply.
Some parts of the collection are restricted or closed due to privacy considerations or until permission from third parties can be clarified.
Born: 19 August, 1947, Wanganui, New Zealand
High School: Wanganui Technical College
University: Victoria University of Wellington, (Bsc, 1970)
Doctorate: Some hyperfine interaction studies using nuclear orientation (D.Phil, Oxford University,1973)
Lectureship in Physics at Massey University: 1974
Professorship in Physics at Massey University: 1984
Fellow of the Royal Society of London: 2001
Alan MacDiarmid Professor of Physical Sciences at Victoria University of Wellington: 2001
Director of MacDiarmid Institute for Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology: 2002
Magritek founded: 2004
Royal Society of New Zealand Rutherford Medal: 2005
Principal Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit: 2006
Sir Peter Blake Medal: 2007 World Class New Zealander award: 2007
Royal Society of New Zealand James Cook Research Fellowship: 2008
Converted PCNZM to Knighthood: 2009
Gunther Laukien Prize for Magnetic Resonance: 2010 Prime Minister's Science Prize (shared with ): 2010
New Zealander of the Year: 2011 Honorary Fellow of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge: 2011
World Class New Zealander - Supreme winner: 2012
Died: 24 March 2012, Wellington, New Zealand
Callaghan Innovation (NZ Crown Entity) established and named after him: 2013
12 linear_meters (61 boxes.)
Language of Materials
Arrangement of collection
Professor Callaghan's papers were acquired from his office at Victoria University of Wellington after his death in 2013. The arrangement of the material reflects - as closely as possible - his own arrangement within the office. The volume of material involved and the degree to which different areas of research, collaborators and types of item were dispersed across a number of locations have determined that this was the most practical way to make this finding aid available, using subject heading access to lead to the different areas of research.
Due to the quantity of material, this Finding Aid provides a summary of the nature and coverage of the collection. With the exception of photographic negatives and slides, more detailed listings are available on request.
Appraisal of the collection
The collection was acquired in early 2013. It has been comprehensively listed over an extended period and appraisal has taken place alongside that process.
- Duplicate copies have generally been discarded.
- Photocopied articles without annotation have been listed and discarded, unless they sat within a context of other notes. In the case of such articles handled in the latter stages of processing the first page has been retained as a record.
- Some material has been discarded or embargoed for reasons of third-party privacy. Examples are: copies of references given for other people, documentation related to a review conducted by Professor Callaghan, drafts of theses supervised
- Commercial in confidence material related to a number of organisations has, after consultation with those organisations, been returned to them or destroyed. We retain a record of their presence in the collection when acquired.
Material deposited by MacDiarmid institute in 2015 (Accession 2015.025) has not yet been processed at 22/8/2019 SH
- Callaghan, Paul - Papers of Professor Sir Paul Callaghan
- Sue Hirst
- 30 August 2017
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Tapuaka Heritage & Archive Collections - JC Beaglehole Reading Room, Victoria University of Wellington Library Repository
P O Box 3438
Wellington 6140 New Zealand
+64 4 4635681