Burnett's Face records salvaged in 1957
The collection consists of records salvaged by Les Cleveland. They concern the Athenaeum, the Brass Band, and the Crown Hotel only.
Les Cleveland contributed photographs for the article 'Survivors of ghost town recall a bygone era', 'New Zealand Truth', 11 February 1958, p.22 (clipping held with collection).
Access and use
This material is freely available for research and private study within the J.C.Beaglehole Room. For any use beyond this, please address requests to the J.C.Beaglehole Room in the first instance.
Burnett's Face was a coal-mining settlement on the Denniston plateau, West Coast. Workings there began c1878. By 1957 the town was deserted and the buildings were falling into ruin.
Language of Materials
- Collected archives Subject Source: Local sources
- NRAM: The Community Archive entry Subject Source: Local sources
- Guide to the collection of Burnett's Face records salvaged in 1957
- Edited Full Draft
- Nicola Frean
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written inEnglish
- Edition statement
- XML EAD edition
Part of the J C Beaglehole Room, Victoria University of Wellington Library Repository
P O Box 3438
Wellington 6140 New Zealand
+64 4 4635681