Victoria University College. Philosophical Society, 1950s. Records
Scope and Contents
The collection includes receipt books, several blank examples of VUW ephemera, notices, bookplate [?], financial records for 1970-81, President's Annual report for 1981, folder of records 1980-1981, membership records 1977-1979, secretary's correspondence 1974-1975.
- Creation: 1954-1976
Access and use
Access to this material is freely available for research and private study within the J.C.Beaglehole Room. For any use beyond this, please contact the J.C.Beaglehole Room (email@example.com) in the first instance. Some content may be subject to the provisions of the Privacy Act.
Biographical / Historical
A 1980 notice states "The Philosophical Society (re-formed in 1954) is effectively now defunct through lack of student interest. There are, this year, no elected officers, and there is no list of current members..."
The Society was reformed on 5 August 1980 at a meeting called by Les Slater and was re-affiliated with VUWSA. It may have been influenced by planning for the 1981 Austrasian Association of Philosophy New Zealand Division Conference which was to be held in Wellington and was organised by John Iorns, Philosophy Dept.
The Society's name was changed to The Philosophy Club in 1981.
Events organised by the Club included talks from Professor Peter Munz, Prof. N. F. Barber, Paul Olds, Dr. E. Jacoby, Rev. Dr. D.K. Bonisch SM, William Weddell, Robert Howel, Tony Ralls, (1974-1975).
9 linear_centimeters (1 file box)
Language of Materials
- Victoria University Philosophical Society papers
- J.C.Beaglehole Room - archives and manuscripts
- Sue Hirst
- 21 August 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Tapuaka Heritage & Archive Collections - JC Beaglehole Reading Room, Victoria University of Wellington Library Repository
P O Box 3438
Wellington 6140 New Zealand
+64 4 4635681