Creative Writing Course Boxes and student folios
Scope and Contents
For each year, there are two types of record:
1) the Course box, which generally contains Course applications, course material, class lists,
2) Folios, which consist of the end-of-year folios submitted by students in the Creative Writing courses.
Records were transferred in considerable disorder. It has been decided to adopt an annual system divided into the two types of records.
For the Course Boxes, records have been arranged into the following broad categories:
Course Applications; Class lists; Course information; Exercise Work information; Collated exercise work; Class presentation folios; Uncollated exercise work; Miscellaneous Evaluations.
For the Folios, records are arranged alphabetically within each year.
1981 and 1989 are missing.
Some accessions are not yet fully described. For these accessions please consult the paper finding aids in the reading room. A2010/09, 1996-2007 Boxes numbered 56-81
A2009/10, 2005-2006 Boxes 45-47? A2011/21, 2007-2010 Boxes numbered 82-91
A2010/28 Further record for Box 79, application form and related papers
- 1977 - two years before current year
Conditions Governing Access
Since 2005 University corporate records have been governed by the Public Records Act, however teaching and student records are excluded and under normal conditions these records would not be retained.
An exception has been made for these Creative Writing course archives in view of their research potential, but in view of the privacy implications for students rigorous access restrictions have been established, in particular:
- Researchers must obtain written permission from the University Librarian (who will normally consult with the Director of the Creative Writing courses) and present this to the Special Materials Librarian. - Permission to quote (including paraphrase or précis) from material for which an individual creator can be identified must be obtained from the copyright holder (e.g. the individual student). Permission to quote (including paraphrase or précis) from material for which an individual creator cannot be identified must be obtained from the University Librarian (who will normally consult with the Director of the Creative Writing courses). In published works due acknowledgement must be made to the Library.
- The material will be available for internal and external short-term exhibition loan as long as written permission has been obtained in accordance with the research and reproduction restrictions above.
From 1977-2000, Creative Writing courses were run from the English Department by Bill Manhire. From 2001, Creative Writing courses were run by the International Institute of Modern Letters under its Director Bill Manhire.
Language of Materials
All text and images are copyright to Victoria University of Wellington. Enquiries for re-use should be made in the first instance to the J C Beaglehole Room, VUW Library.
- University archives - corporate Subject Source: Local sources
- J C Beaglehole Room - archives and manuscripts
- Edited Full Draft
- Nicola Frean
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written inEnglish
- Edition statement
- XML EAD edition
- Box: 003-004/4 [A2008/14] (box)
- Box: 001-002/4 [A2008/14] (box)
- Box: 1065/1-2 [A2002/9] + 1067/1 (box)
- Box: 1063/1-2 A2002/9 (box)
- Box: [A2008/16] (box)
- Box: 1066/6 + 1068/1 [A2002/9] (box)
- Box: 1064/1-2 A2002/9 (box)
- Box: B68-69, 70, 71 - 4 boxes (box)
- Box: B64-66, 67 - 4 boxes (box)
- Box: 591 boxes 1-4 (box)
- Box: 253, 254, 255, 256 and 257 [A2009/10] (box)
- Box: 592 B60-63 - 4 boxes (box)
- Box: 592 B56-58, 59 - 4 boxes (box)
- Box: B79-80 - 2 boxes (box)
- Box: B72-73, 74-75 (box)
- Box: B76-78, 81 - 4 boxes (box)
- Box: 42 (box)
- Box: 001-004 [A2007/17] (box)
- Box: 015-018 [A2007/17] (box)
- Box: 011-014 [A2007/17] (box)
- Box: 008-010 [A2007/17] (box)
- Box: 005-007 [A2007/17] (box)
- Box: 031-034 [A2007/17] (box)
- Box: 027-030 [A2007/17] (box)
- Box: 023-026 [A2007/17] (box)
- Box: 019-022 [A2007/17] (box)
- Box: 044-047 [A2007/17] (box)
- Box: 038-043 [A2007/17] (box)
- Box: 035-037 [A2007/17] (box)
- Box: 93-101 (2008) (box)
- Box: 85-92; 85-86 (2002); 87-92 (2008) (box)
- Box: 102 and 103 (2008); 104-105 (2009) (box)
Part of the J C Beaglehole Room, Victoria University of Wellington Library Repository
P O Box 3438
Wellington 6140 New Zealand
+64 4 4635681