Ngāti Porou songbooks
Scope and Contents
These songbooks (two manuscript and one photocopied) were deposited by Koro Dewes in 1974, apparently to be copied and then bound with an introduction by Mr Dewes.
A handwritten title states: "Maori Literature. Dance poetry etc from the Mss Bk of Mrs Ngoi Pēwhairangi, Te Hokowhitu-a-Tu Group of Te Whanau-a-Ruataupare (Ngati Porou) at Tokomaru Bay. Te Hokowhitu-a-Tu was founded by Miss Tuini Ngawai in the 1930's. Copied per Koro Dewes, Senior Lecturer in Maori Language, Dept. of Anthropology and Maori, VUW, 14/6/1974."
The volumes chiefly contain manuscript words for songs, in Maori and in English. For example, one volume includes a song for the launch of the second TV channel in New Zealand.
One volume includes the draft of a letter to the Dept. of Maori Affairs, and also an unrelated set of Minutes for 20 March 1966 covering plans for a powhiri.
Te Hokowhitu-a-Tu Group of Te Whanau-a-Ruataupare (Ngāti Porou) at Tokomaru Bay was founded by Miss Tuini Ngawai in the 1930's. A later well-known member was Mrs Ngoi Pewhairangi.
4.5 linear_centimeters (3 items and envelope)
Language of Materials
- Kapa haka Subject Source: Ngā ūpoko Tukutuku / Māori Subject Headings
- Maori (New Zealand people) -- Music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Maori language Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Songs, Maori Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Waiata Subject Source: Ngā ūpoko Tukutuku / Māori Subject Headings
- Waiata-ā-ringa Subject Source: Ngā ūpoko Tukutuku / Māori Subject Headings
- Guide to the Ngāti Porou songbooks collected by Koro Dewes
- Edited Full Draft
- David Kukutai Jones
- 20 June 2011
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the J C Beaglehole Room, Victoria University of Wellington Library Repository
P O Box 3438
Wellington 6140 New Zealand
+64 4 4635681