New Zealand Institute of Architects
Scope and Contents
The records consist of minute books and meeting reports, registers and financial records of the Institute from its establishment in 1905 to c1967 (the date varies for different types of record).
- Creation: 1906-1967
Conditions governing access note
Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission.
The N.Z. Institute of Architects was established in 1905 by the amalgamation of existing district institutes and societies of architects, and further incorporated by the NZIA Act 1913. It is responsible for setting scales of fees and supervising professional standards, including the conduct of examinations, the discipline of members and the presentation of awards.
"... the Institute was later reformed under the Architects Act 1963 which split its previous functions in two: the New Zealand Institute of Architects became the professional organisation for Architects, and the regulatory functions transferred to the Architects Education and Registration Board (AERB). The Institute has since elected to become an incorporated society (like many other building industry professional organisations), giving it the flexibility to identify and expand its range of activities and membership base." Source URL http://www.nzia.co.nz (Copied on 20 October 2003).
Records from c1968 on are still held by the Institute, which is now based in Auckland. For these records please contact: NZ Institute Of Architects Inc Suite 1.5 D72 Bldg, 72 Dominion Rd Mt Eden 0-9-623-6080 Postal: P O Box 2516, Auckland Fax 0-9-623-6081 Email email@example.com Websites www.nzia.co.nz, www.architecture.nz.net
The Institute published a Journal, under varying titles, from c1921. Publication of the Journal was suspended after vol. 16 and from 1938 to 1949 minutes, proceedings and papers delivered at the Annual Conference were published in a Yearbook. The Journal resumed publication in April 1950 with vol. 17 no. 1.
Language of Materials
These records were re-arranged in January 2009. A detailed item listing (not an index) had been compiled by the Architecture Librarian when the records were first transferred. This listing had mixed records from the National NZIA and the NZIA Wellington District Branch. The latter have now been treated as a separate record group (see WBIA). The collection has not been completely re-processed. In the interests of making information available, the item listings have been scanned to PDF format then OCR'ed to text and this text incorporated in the finding aid. There may be some minor typographical errors as a result of this process.
Immediate source of acquisition note
The Institute deposited their inactive records in 1981, at the time they moved their office to different premises.
All text and images are copyright to Victoria University of Wellington. Enquiries for re-use should be made in the first instance to the J C Beaglehole Room, VUW Library.
- Guide to the archives of the New Zealand Institute of Architects
- Edited Full Draft
- Nicola Frean
- 12 February 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written inEnglish
- Edition statement
- XML EAD edition
Part of the Tapuaka Heritage & Archive Collections - JC Beaglehole Reading Room, Victoria University of Wellington Library Repository
P O Box 3438
Wellington 6140 New Zealand
+64 4 4635681