Skip to main content

Kelburne and Karori Tramway Co. Ltd. archives

 Fonds — Multiple Containers
Identifier: kktc

Scope and Contents

Access is freely available in the J.C.Beaglehole Room for research and private study. For any use beyond this, please contact the J.C.Beaglehole Room ( in the first instance.


  • 1898-1946

Biographical/Historical note

The Kelburne and Karori Tramway Company was formed in 1898 and began construction of the cable car in 1901; the cable car opened for business in February 1902. It changed from steam power to electric in 1933. The Company went into voluntary liquidation in 1948 and management of the cable car was taken over by the Wellington City Council.

"The suburb of 'Kelburne' was established after the Upland Estate Company purchased farmland from William Moxham in 1896.[2] It was named after Viscount Kelburne, son of the Governor of New Zealand at the time.[3] The 'e' at the end of 'Kelburne' was later omitted to avoid confusion with the suburb of Kilbirnie." - taken from Wikipedia


73 linear_centimeters

Language of Materials



There is a Cable Car Museum located nearby in Wellington. Its web page link is These archives have been used extensively in the restoration of the cable cars on display.

Guide to the Kelburne and Karori Tramway Co. Ltd. archives
Edited Full Draft
Nicola Frean
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Finding aid is written inEnglish
Edition statement
XML EAD edition

Repository Details

Part of the J C Beaglehole Room, Victoria University of Wellington Library Repository

P O Box 3438
Wellington 6140 New Zealand
+64 4 4635681