PSA Equal Pay Campaign Archive, from the Dan Long Union Library.
Scope and Contents
The 'Equal Pay Campaign Archive' is a collection of Public Service Association and personal papers from c1943-1985, to do with the campaign leading to the Government Service Equal Pay Act in 1960. The collection was held in the Dan Long Union Library, and was listed in 1990 by consultant archivist Diana Morrow.
Due to resource constraints this online finding aid contains only brief headings from the paper finding aid. The paper finding aid includes further descriptions at item level and a partial transcript of the interview of Margot Rodden by Alison Lash (transcribed as the original interview was of poor sound quality). The paper finding aid is available in the reading room.
An additional record series was added in 2008 to accommodate 14 audiotapes which had been created for the 25th anniversary of the Act and which had not been included in the 1990 paper finding aid.
Access and use
Access is freely available in the J.C.Beaglehole Room for research and private study. For any use beyond this, please contact the J.C.Beaglehole Room (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the first instance.
The Dan Long Union Library was named for Dan Long, the General Secretary of the New Zealand Public Service Assocation 1960-1976. It was originally housed in the PSA Library. The Library was donated to Victoria University of Wellington Library by the PSA in 1999 and is valued as a rich research resource supplementing other primary and secondary collections in the field (such as union archives transferred via the Labour Archives Trust - now named the Labour History Project - and employment history publications and databases).
Three elements from the Dan Long Union Library have been distinguished as Special Collections. They are 1) the PSA Equal Campaign Pay Archive, 2) the Dan Long Union Library Poster Collection and 3) in-house Library records. These collections are stored and serviced with other special materials in the care of the J C Beaglehole Room. These resources are available 10-4.30 Monday to Friday under supervision only.
1) The Equal Pay Campaign Archive is a collection of Public Service Association and personal papers c1943-1985, to do with the campaign leading to the Government Service Equal Pay Act in 1960. This Archive was collated and inventoried in 1990 by consultant archivist, Diana Morrow. This collection is the subject of this finding aid.
2) The Dan Long Union Library Poster Collection consists of c300 posters which were produced by various union and other groups (including overseas sources) during the 1970s-1980s. The posters are thought to have been collected and were certainly heavily used by the Trade Union Education Authority; most posters were transferred while still in TUEA subject folders. In the interim, the posters are being listed in these folder groupings. A digitisation project is under investigation. Please see the separate finding aid for 'Dan Long Union Library Poster Collection', for further information and access references.
250 linear_centimeters (21 File boxes 1 London box (of audio cds))
Language of Materials
- Collected archives Subject Source: Local sources
- NRAM: The Community Archive entry Subject Source: Local sources
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the J C Beaglehole Room, Victoria University of Wellington Library Repository
P O Box 3438
Wellington 6140 New Zealand
+64 4 4635681