Architects Education Registration Board
Scope and Contents
Records cover ca. 1985-2004, and include:
• S01: board working papers and meeting papers including agendas and minutes (1994-2004)
• S02: applications for registration (1991-2002)
• S03: complaints pursued by the Architects Investigation Committee (AIC) under section 42 of the Architects Act 1963 (1985-2001)
• S04: prosecutions pursued under section 53 of the Architects Act 1963 (1996-2002)
Access to Series S03 and S04 has been restricted, due to privacy issues. Please contact the J C Beaglehole Room if you wish to access these series.
Some AERB registrations 1965 to 1980 are held by Archives New Zealand.
New Zealand Registred Architects Board hold hard copies of:
• minutes of AERB meetings 1972-2004
• register of architects 1964-1996
• minutes of AIC 1984-2001
See Related Archival Material Note
- Existence: 1964-June 2006
- Coverage: 1985-2004
Biographical / Historical
The AERB managed architecture as a profession from 1964 until 2005. Architects were required to register, and supply evidence of previous work with their initial application.
Under the Architects Act of 1963 the previous functions of the New Zealand Institute of Architects (NZIA) were split in two: the NZIA became the professional organisation for architects, whereas the Architects Education and Registration Board (AERB) took over regulatory functions of the NZIA.
• Oversaw the registration of architects
• Investigated complaints against architects under section 42 of the Architects Act 1963, which allowed disciplinary action to be taken against architects found guilty of grave professional misconduct or bankruptcy
• Instigated the prosecution of persons, not being registered architects, who described themselves or let others describe them as architects in advertising, publicity etc, under section 53 of the Architects Act 1963.
The Registered Architects Act 2005 replaced the Architects Act 1963 as part of the Government response to public concern over building standards.
As of 1st July 2006, AERB was replaced by a new board to oversee the registration of architects: the New Zealand Registered Architects Board (NZRAB).
Relationships as defined by ISAAR(CPF) 2nd edition, section 5.3:
Name of related entity: New Zealand Institute of Architects (NZIA) 1905- Category of relationship: Temporal, Associative Description of relationship: AERB takes over from NZIA regulatory functions of NZIA in 1963 Date of relationship: 1963- 2006
Name of related entity: New Zealand Registered Architects Board (NZRAB) 2006- Category of relationship: Temporal Description of relationship: Successor to AERB Date of relationship: 2006
700 linear_centimeters (22 boxes initially 2 boxes disposed of during appraisal)
Language of Materials
The records were transferred from the offices of the AERB's successor organisation, the New Zealand Registered Architects Board (NZRAB). The records had previously been in off-site commercial storage.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the J C Beaglehole Room, Victoria University of Wellington Library Repository
P O Box 3438
Wellington 6140 New Zealand
+64 4 4635681