Koro Dewes Collection - oral histories and waiata gathered by Kapunga Matemoana ('Koro') Dewes in the 1960's-1970's
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of copies of recordings made by Koro Dewes. Recorded from the 1950s to 1970s in Te Reo Māori, with some English, it contains whaikōrero, tikanga, whakapapa, waiata, hui, and oral histories. Though previously primarily associated with Ngāti Porou this collection contains recordings from across the motu.
Te Kapunga Matemoana (Koro) Dewes
1930 - 2010
Te Kapunga Dewes was the son of Henry Dewes of Te Araroa. He was educated at Horoera Native Primary School, Wesley College and Ardmore Teachers’ College. He taught for a number of years at Ruatoki School, Tikitiki District High School and then at St Stephen’s School, Bombay, while working on his B.A. In 1962 he lectured in Māori at the University Extension Department of Auckland University. In 1966 he was appointed a lecturer in Māori at Victoria University and was appointed senior lecturer in Māori Language at Victoria University. Dewes wrote a Masters thesis on Henare Waitoa (Ngati Porou composer) and this was the first thesis presented in te reo Māori without English translation. In 1976 he went back to the East Coast and was part of the establishment of Te Runanga o Ngati Porou. He was a principal of Ngata Memorial College in Ruatoria and often spoke on Radio Ngati Porou. In 2004 he received an honorary doctorate in literature from Victoria University.
Dewes was a member of staff in the Dept. of Anthropology and Maori Studies at Victoria University of Wellington from 1966-1977 (Lecturer, 1966-1971; Senior lecturer, 1972-1977; Resigned, 1977).
Language of Materials
All text and images are copyright to Victoria University of Wellington. Enquiries for re-use should be made in the first instance to the J C Beaglehole Room, VUW Library.
- Kupu tuku iho Subject Source: Ngā ūpoko Tukutuku / Māori Subject Headings
- Songs, Maori Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tikanga Subject Source: Ngā ūpoko Tukutuku / Māori Subject Headings
- University archives - personal Subject Source: Local sources
- Waiata Subject Source: Ngā ūpoko Tukutuku / Māori Subject Headings
- Whaikōrero Subject Source: Ngā ūpoko Tukutuku / Māori Subject Headings
- Whakapapa Subject Source: Ngā ūpoko Tukutuku / Māori Subject Headings
- Oral history tapes collected by Te Kapunga Matemoana ('Koro') Dewes
- J C Beaglehole Room - archives and manuscripts
- Edited Full Draft
- Nicola Frean
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written inEnglish
- Edition statement
- XML EAD edition
Part of the J C Beaglehole Room, Victoria University of Wellington Library Repository
P O Box 3438
Wellington 6140 New Zealand
+64 4 4635681